In business we know word-of-mouth referrals are a strong source of new business for any company. A personal referral has the relationship built in. So how can we take this referral source to the next level? In other words, what does it take to grow word-of mouth testimonies into world-of-mouth referrals? The answer is simple--by using relationship-marketing techniques to market from the outside, in.
Incorporating the following easy ways to delight your customers, will help create a marketing army for your brand.
Driving World of Mouth Referrals
Marketing from the outside is accomplished by implementing the following techniques:
- Customer evangelism
- Social sharing
- Press-worthy testimonials
- Customer retention and loyalty
Since our goal is to encourage your customers to refer their friends and family to your company, it is important to create relationship building events designed entice them to do so. These events should have such a profound impact on your customer, they WANT to share their experience with others.
Here are a few suggestions to WOW your customer- invite referrals and shares:
- Feature your customers' successes when discussing case studies and testimonials on your blog.
- Offer special exclusive trials or sneak peeks for products (opportunities to beta test).
- Send a personal card or note with a small gift to show you are paying attention with SendOutCards.com. Send Out Cards will store personal information for you, notes about special dates and anything else you want to remember.
- Offer complementary services or products to help your customers grow their own businesses, or refer them to someone who is a good fit.
- Use surveys (SurveyMonkey.com) or quizzes (Qzzr.com) to get valuable feedback to improve service or products. Thank them for their feedback.
- Provide superior service by "answering the phone," meaning don't leave people hanging, help them and be there when they need you. Under promise and over deliver on a consistent basis.
- I know you've heard this one before... simply treat them the way you want to be treated. Don't use canned responses and jargon. Support their goals and solve their problems through your products, service and content, continuously.
- Be real. Stand out in a positive, unique manner. Your brand identity is built on your actions, relationships and results. Make those connections memorable and the referrals will come.
Have an idea to add? How do you delight your current customers?